PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BELFAST AIRPORT INTERNATIONAL
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2014, 11:58
panpanpanpan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bud - I am a dedicated supporter of business being left to find its own level without interference from outsiders dictating who should sell what etc. If a business is unprofitable and unsustainable then it will fail, that will then leave a clearer path forward. Until that happens then speculation and pontificating from a moral high ground is pointless.

I am also a dedicated supporter of competition, trying to stifle one market to artificially attempt to revive another is foolhardy at best. In the last few years I have used Harbour, Aldergrove and Dublin because of price, convenience and choice available. Long may this continue.

Larry - I wouldn`t put too much play on a companies financial reports, these companies pay accountants to use as many loopholes and clauses as possible to reduce taxes and fees due, if I recall Harbour had large amounts of "inter company loans" to repay which reduced profits to almost zero.

If Aldergrove has a better product to offer pax/airlines then Harbour will suffer and ultimately fail but I doubt this is imminent. Aldergrove have been reactionary to competition for the last several years, they have objected at every turn to seats for sale at Harbour, objected to runway extension at Harbour and sponsored the "local concerned residents", all in an attempt to undermine a competitor. If only they had applied the same effort to fixing their own problems instead of thinking that they should be some sort of priority case for aviation than things might be different.