PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Business Aviation Asia (BAA)
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2014, 10:16
medriver2008

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BAA from someone who has worked there

I have been in Corporate Aviation for 30 years and worked for companies in the Middle East and Asia. So I have worked for heavy hitters privately and large management companies of different cultural background.

As a Training Captain, I can say that I address issues that some companies prefer to cut corners on the grounds of costs. BAA are totally opposite. The rule are there to be followed and all aircraft irrespective of registration are run to the Chinese regulations. Meaning, even part 91 aircraft have flight and duty time limitations.

During my contract with BAA I never witnessed a hassle with regulations, payment of expenses, staying in hotels less than excellent and I never experienced management with an competitive controlling attitude that is so common in other companies today.

BAA is run as an airline, meaning it doesn't have a personality that changes everyday like that of other companies.

The company communicates with you regarding trips and after the flight is complete, the emails and phone calls stop. Some guys call the office to see if everyone is still there. Some pilots fly 5 times a month whilst other 15 / 20.

BAA went through a period of growth a few years back where things were not working too well but they learnt from this period and acknowledge it. They now have around 70 aircraft and allot of foreign pilots. Simply because the business jet industry is booming and local pilots are 99% airline pilots. Chinese owners buy brand new aircraft, not used and so you get to fly awesome equipment.

I have seen pilots come in from flying commuters and 3 years later have been upgraded on 2 business jet types. BAA don't play games with your vacation, crew training or scheduled time off. In fact, every month you get a letter to say "thank you for all you efforts this month " and your salary is in your account. They pay all taxes so this to is addressed.

If you want a career in Business Jets and a company that will give you , the guy with NO RATING , a break, BAA is the place to advance your career. Be prepared to put in the time in China and you will get a rating on a Gulfstream or Bombardier product and in 5 years be rated as a Captain. Who else will do that for you.

To get the Chinese ATPL takes 2 weeks of study and the result is automatic the minute you select SUBMIT at the end of the test. The Chinese medical is the main issue. It takes 2 days and is not easy so many foreign pilots fail for a number of reasons. BP is 140 / 90 which is lower than the FAA.

After these are complete, you go to school on your aircraft and your sim check ride is under the Chinese regulations. You now have a Chinese ATPL. The complete process is 3 weeks plus initial or recurrent training.

Pilots are definitely not leaving in masses at this company. They are a professional company with more than 70 aircraft , 60 mechanics to support the aircraft and BAA are very particular who's aircraft they take on as a managed project.

Definitely do not talk to anyone except Caleb in BAA Shenzhen or Ricky Leung in BAA Hong Kong. Stay well away from all agencies as they have ripped off many foreigners in the past and some of the present pilots there can tell you how they went the wrong way and got burnt with an agency.

One thing BAA has which is not common, is they are loyal to the pilots who are loyal to them. Do your job, be professional and you will be rewarded with a rating on a long haul aircraft that no one else will give you.

The salaries are certainly market price and way above Deer Jet who is just not in the same league.

Given the opportunity, I would go back to BAA for the remainder of my career knowing that it is a low hassle, professionally run working environment. Something that can not be said for allot of companies that simply get caught up in there own self importance rather than working as a team.