PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 15th Feb 2014, 09:05
Art of flight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to help clear up a few of the questions, misconceptions and speculations.

Some posters are jumping in with half knowledge or none on 135 type/helicopters/piloting/aviation experience at all.

A small handfull on here fly these aircraft night after night on police ops with thousands of hours on type, and no it doesn't make them or me infallible, but if those in the first category want answers to questions please don't then challenge in a personal manner the informed answer that those in the second category give.

The fuel system on the 135 has been explained in minute detail, with illustrations and text, please look back at the posts before before asking new questions that may confuse others and the press.

The overhead panel is laid out in a logical manner, NVS lighting does make it harder to read and the goggles certainly have to be lifted to the stowed position to read it and in that position with a taller pilot may in fact hinder the ability to identify the switches. In fact there is little clearance between the top of the helmet and the roof/panel structure at the best of times. Wearing spectacles for reading, with a helmet and goggles in that cockpit makes it very difficult to use the overhead panel.

A police aircraft cockpit is a real hotbed of noise and distraction. Those with private flying experience only will be very used to planning ahead, flying from A to land at B or perhaps even just flying around A many times before landing again. The Corporate pilots will be used to pretty much the same with the added pressure of satisfying the company and client. The airline pilots will be used to standard routes and someone else to load share. The military pilot will be used to a degree of planning and teamwork and regular training for the demanding roles and flying environment. The police pilot briefs such known factors as met /notams/ aircraft serviceability and fuel load at the start of the shift, after that it's take it as it comes, ie the TFO asks you to jump, you react straight away day or night, good or bad weather, you can be in flight with no planning at all within 2 minutes of someone answering the next phone call. You will have no advance knowledge of the destination or what lies between, the 3 of you need to exchange information with each other and the ground at very frequent and conflicting times. I've often taken off towards B, then whilst I'm asking ATC to give us clearance one of the TFOs is taking a higher priority task to C, whilst I the apologise to ATC and ask for clearance towards C, another radio asks us to drop everything and make our way towards D. This all has to be discussed, debated and prioritised in the cockpit whilst doing snap fuel calculations/weather apreciation and a huge dose CRM so that the 3 of you are still fuctioning as a team throughout the shift. Acrobat, diplomat, doormat is the police pilots motto for good reason. Having said that when asked how difficult it is to do the job I would answer, I use 5% of my military flying experience 95% of the time and was ready to use 95% of it 5% of the time.

Please don't condemn this pilot without absolute fact, the AAIB have said there was a fault with one of the displays, lets see how that pans out.