PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The ticking time bomb in regional aviation
Old 15th Feb 2014, 06:46
Aviater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
emergency000

I do think that the current system for getting licensed is ridiculous, a joke, a fas, so far up itself that no one can see where they're going. Not to mention the fact that you speak to 3 different CASA staff and you'll get 3 different versions of how to become a LAME and what that LAME's privileges are. But also speak to 3 different 147 schools and you'll get 3 different sets of criteria with 3 different prices!

I have the emails that can show as fact, CASA's part 66 team have little to no understanding of part 66 licenses, and when they don't know they make it up and when you ask again, they pass it on to the next person, who doesn't know and subsequently takes a guess.

CASA is negligent in regards to AME licensing in Australia and I truly believe that in 3 or 4 weeks with a hand picked team of LAME's and AME's I could easily come up with an AME licensing framework far superior to what is now a massive irreversible shamozzle. I also thought the old system was fine, it just needed updating, not throwing out.

However I have to disagree with some of your other points. I was one of those fools who finished my apprenticeship with a draw full of worksheets and couldn't be bothered doing my SOE. It seemed so painful at the time, but compared to today's criteria it was a walk in the park.

Despite being an AME only, I worked at many different shops over a 10 year period and when I walked in the front door the first thing manager/owner would say was "What licenses have you got?"

BUT, when I explained my experience, my background and my skillsets, they always gave me a shot. I never had a problem getting a job as an AME. The industry needs AME's. Experienced labour that can get work done without the high cost of a LAME.

Getting licensed in GA was easy. Do the work, put in the time and it was an eventuality.

Getting licensed in the airlines in today's environment however, is near on impossible. That my friend is a very long and narrow pathway that is often difficult to follow.

I'm booked on another type course this year for an airline in Australia and in my opinion it's a case of right place, right time, right attitude.

Unless of course you buy your way in. Somehow build enough SOE and or pay for your own type course and buy the PCT. Even then, it'd be hard to find an airline that's actually hiring where there's not a list of people who know people that would be better suited to the job.