PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 14th Feb 2014, 19:03
sycamore

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
The design of the fuel system is crap,in that it require use of transfer pipes and pumps to fill the supply tanks.Other helos ,of earlier vintage all had low level gravity transfer pipes,with flapper valves to prevent back-flow,so even if the transfer pumps failed,you could get fuel to the EDPs.
Also, the position of the pump switches,in the roof panel leaves a lot to be desired,having to reach up to switch ON/OFF.Frequency of operation ,and that will depend on the operations,as in this case ,should have required a mod, to put them on the instrument panel,or central console.They should also have a `unique shape`/size for easy identification,even internal `beta` lights for `dark` cockpits.
Further ,the busbar shedding switches appear to be behind the pilot`s head,an admirable place to put them if the generators fail,even without engines failing,at night.I`m sure the extra equipment in Police ops would cause a loss of instrumentation at the most critical time,with the loss of a radar altimeter ,and a landing light,at night.They too,should be in a prominent,close to hand and again`beta` lit.
I admit I`m not familiar with the -135 in it`s role,only looking at the `panoramic `pics, so ,I will take any flak;I know folk will say that experience on type counts,but,it is nice if some odds are in your favour.
And ,a question; if this had happened in daylight,would the outcome have been the same....? or IMC..? If not ,,why.?
If crashing is inevitable,crash under control...