PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can you reclaim the VAT and/or tax on training costs?
Old 14th Feb 2014, 18:44
homonculus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No sorry, things have changed. You are correct that in the old days you simply sent in a registration form and got a VAT number. Now they don't give you a VAT number until you have demonstrated you are a proper trading company. I have had to provide a business plan with a lot of supporting information for my latest company. They were very fair but thorough

Yes you can sell advertising, models etc etc and claim the transport costs of the business. If you have a helicopter you can fly each model to the customer, but you won't make a profit and may come unstuck with your business model. What you can't do is get the VAT man to subsidise your training. You do not need a CPL to sell radio control models nor vouchers. You do not need a CPL to brand a helicopter.

I would caution you not to go down this route. Unlike the tax man, the VAT man will come and inspect you. If he isn't happy he has draconian powers and does use them. It just isn't worth it