PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing down during final approach.
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2014, 18:07
sapco2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That picture is a really bad example to use in arguing your case Pace because he/she is clearly NOT flying the cross control procedure. My guess is the aircraft in the picture is in the process of transiting from crab to wing down and its going horribly wrong for him/her. That or he or she has overdone the sideslip.

Trouble is some folk are simply not properly trained in cross controlling on approach. The secret in getting it right lies in applying sufficient downwind rudder first and only then applying sufficient into wind aileron to hold a steady course.

If flown correctly it will never give you that kind of wing down.

Pace, for what its worth I was flying a B757 in those high winds last week and I managed to land no problem too and bang on the centreline using the cross control technique. BUT the secret is DO not put the aircraft into some sort of horrendous side slip manoeuvre.

The stipulation on my type is not to fully cross control when the cross wind exceeds 28 kts.... Simples!

I have never flown the citation but I have flown the Learjet 35a and if you fly the technique correctly and with diligence you'll be able to land your aircraft bang on the centreline every time in crosswinds using the cross control technique.

Last edited by sapco2; 14th Feb 2014 at 18:48.