PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 14th Feb 2014, 18:06
CJ Romeo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The media is reporting this as a 'double engine failure' and anomalies in the displays, I don't know why!?

I'm not an aviator,(hence the probably incorrect terminology) but it's a short report and basically says there was fuel in the bulk tank, no fuel in the individual engine tanks, no or little fuel in the filters and the transfer pumps isolated, surely then its a question of why it was in that configuration. Unfortunately the level probes are smashed, though the pumps did work.

I've read the whole thread, the only question I have is I thought the engine tanks were deliberately different in capacity so that one turbine flamed out first giving the pilot time to react to whatever the issues are before the second one runs out of fuel

I used to design diesel power plants, similar bulk and day tank situation, though no need to transfer around to alter balance obviously.

ok, I lied, another question, as the engine tanks overflow back into the bulk tanks, could they empty in a dive condition back to the big tank? All the sketches are 2D, so I can't tell.

Not sure if there is some PR somewhere skewing the reporting, weird.