PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guimbal Cabri G2
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2014, 13:59
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The automotive world had injection foisted upon it by increasingly stringent emissions requirements.
During my mechanicing days, I rapidly learned that the Bosch injection system could produce low fuel consumption and a perfect burn, as evidenced by the pale chocolate-coloured exhaust and spark-plug deposits.....However, It did not give the ultimate power...for that, you slapped on some Weber 40 DCOE's.....thirsty but delivered extra horses.
Presumably an aircraft system can be programmed differently (Chipped) to sacrifice economy for outright power, when needed.

A carb, in it's purest formis very robust, simple and efficient....I think the thousands of Rotax that have dilited the lycosaurus market monopoly, are carburetted by Bing...a simple slide and needle setup, somewhat less advanced than the constant-vacuum SU or it's ripoff Kei Hin counterpart. The SU was at it's zenith when the needle was rigidly mounted to stay concentric within the jet...the idiotic idea to spring-bias the needle so it destroyed it's own and the jet's metering accuracy,killed the product

having said that, a new biased needle and matching jet can be had for under £30, to restore "as new" performance

Single-point injection still carries a risk of icing....it's just moved "downwind" from the injector in the induction tract.......
As soon as you go on to multi-point injection, you're into an injector per cylinder and a complex and expensive box of electronics...or an equally complex and expensive mechanical injection-pump.

ISTR reading a figure of ~£500 for a full Rotax carb overhaul.....It made my eyes water,anyway!...For motorcycle use, one would expect to pay less than £300 for a complete brand-new carb//// Let's see....float-needle and seat....choke-tubeand throttle-slide.....main jet and needle....Uh,, OK the return spring to push the slide back down (never seen a worn to breaking one in over 50 years! )....that's it, other than a few caskets/o-rings....Oh, go on then, add a pilot fuel or air-needle, that must be all of £3 worth

You *can* get a carburetted car to ice-up in the carb. but back in the seventies, a simple flap-valve was devised by the maligned BMC a bimetal strip moved the flap between a hot-air pickup around the exhaust manifold and a fresh air pickup externally....the induced air caused the strip to bend, thus automatically altering the hot-cold balance.....AFTER this, it was filtered BEFORE it went to the carb or engine....Why do Lycosaurus still feed unfiltered hot air to an engine?

I'd agree with Mr Guimbal on this one...carb is simpler, cheaper and easier to maintainand gives the best bang for the buck .