PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing down during final approach.
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2014, 10:54
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't add anything on to be honest.

I am doing 160 to 4 anyway.

And normally the approaches are flown at 140knts once configured coming back to Vat plus 10 at 200ft and Vat over the threshold max Vat 112knts and Vref 106.

We are a completely different kettle of fish though as we take 2 seconds to go from flight idle up to 100% torque as we are a direct shaft constant speed engine.

Nothing like flying down the approach with all the control gear creaking. A lot of pilots don't understand there is a time for smooth control inputs and there is a time to grab the bitch by the neck and do what's required.

There are some that like to add the old third of the wind and half the gust up to 15 knots onto the Vref but over the years I have seen some spectacular rapes in the flare with this addition just as good as that Q400. So I gave up doing it years ago and haven't scared myself in fact I seem to have an easy time of it compared to some.

And it always works like that when you working it and meaning to plant her on the ground and get the lift dump out she decides she is going to do a smooth landing.

Icing is a different story I add on speed for that. One of the boys got caught in unforecast freezing rain in Finland and ended up landing with 100% torque on and plus 30 knts in buffet.