PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing down during final approach.
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2014, 08:20
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wednesday this week we had hurricane conditions in the Uk with winds recorded at 108 mph in parts of the Uk.
I was flying back from Germany early evening and landed at a northern airport in winds 47 gusting 70 plus kts.
Luckily for me the winds were only 10 to 20 degrees off but far worse than the landing was the approach.
At one point I was holding 170 kts down the approach (crabbing) and the speed shot from 170 down to 120 kts exceptional conditions and not conditions that a PPL would be up in!
There was a great picture of a high wing passenger turbo prop landing at Manchester wing down with the wing inches from
Striking the runway!
We have discussed the landing bit but not what can be equally challenging and that is the approach

Pilot battles to land plane at Manchester Airport in 45mph crosswind | Mail Online

These pictures show some horrifying shots of the turboprop landing at Manchester my arrival was at an airport slightly more east than Manchester later in the dark ( he had more crosswind : ) me stronger winds in the evening but more down runway

Interesting if you look at the pictures is that he was wings level crabbing at 50 to 70 feet then went wing down albeit in a high wing turboprop

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 14th Feb 2014 at 08:58.