PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The ticking time bomb in regional aviation
Old 14th Feb 2014, 06:07
emergency000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dubbleyew_eight and Horatio: I'm not sure what gave you blokes the idea that I've been a qualified AME for 5 years or even that I've been in the industry for 5 years! I completed my apprenticeship in August last year having started it in Feb 2010, so I'm only just completing my 4th year in the industry now and have been a qualified AME (ie. not an apprentice) for almost 6 months.

I'm also not sure how familiar you are with the way licensing works. First, you start your apprenticeship and have to complete a bunch of theory subjects and exams (in my case, it was a total of 30 subjects) and complete a Journal of Experience that takes you through all the areas of the aircraft systems, as well as core skills. Once you complete that, you've passed your Certificate IV and hold a trade certificate, making you an AME (not a LAME).

Under the Part 66 system, to become a LAME you then have to sit another bunch of exams (around 5) plus complete another bunch of Journal sheets to gain a Diploma. This can then allow you to get a non-type rated license. Then, if you want to get a Group 20 (ie. type rated license), you have to complete ANOTHER journal of experience called an OJT book for each aircraft type, as well as a type course for that aircraft.

So it's not something that one can exactly knock over in 6 months. I am currently making my way though the Diploma pathway with a view to obtaining a non type rated license within the next 6 months. But the way the current system works, it's next to impossible to complete your apprenticeship and already have a license of any type, especially if you've done your apprenticeship with an airline, where you're railroaded through the course with no opportunity for extra studies (because that's extra cost to the airline).