PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multicom vs area frequency
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2014, 23:19
Creampuff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are correct: I should have finished the sentence.

Yes of course I would broadcast on Area if I thought anyone would benefit from knowing that I’m orbiting Joe’s house. A broadcast on any other frequency is, for the reason explained by Kaz, pointless.

The conundrum with the BBQ or spot landing competition at Joe’s paddock example is this: Unless Joe’s paddock is on charts, in ERSA or the subject of a NOTAM, aircraft in the vicinity will be monitoring Area and won’t know about activities that may be relevant to their safety and operational decision-making. If lots of aircraft are converging on, operating at and departing from a spot on a map, others in the area have an interest in knowing about it.

AIP ENR 1.1 paras 44.1 and 44.2 say:
Pilots of radio-equipped VFR aircraft must listen out on the appropriate VHF frequency and announce if in potential conflict. Pilots intercepting broadcasts from aircraft in their vicinity which are considered to be in potential conflict with their own aircraft must acknowledge by transmitting own call-sign and, as appropriate, aircraft type, position, actual level and intentions.

The appropriate frequency stated above is:

a. In the vicinity of an aerodrome depicted on aeronautical charts, with a discrete frequency, the discrete CTAF shown (including Broadcast Area CTAF) or otherwise;

b. In the vicinity of an aerodrome depicted on aeronautical charts, with no discrete frequency shown, the CTAF 126.7; or

c. In all other cases the FIA frequency.
[Underlining in the AIP. Bolding added]

An alternative is as suggested by Bloggsie: Make the Area frequency 126.7 everywhere that’s both outside C/D/E and below e.g. 5,000 AMSL.

But I don’t make the rules.