PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Towing Aircraft
Thread: Towing Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2014, 19:38
bill2b

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Belle and Sebastian
Than had me in stitches, brilliant. I was at Cottesmore mid 80's and heard about someone during the Friday afternoon rush getting "briefed" by ATC for towing 2 Tornado's one on the front pushing and the one on the back following, I don't know if it was true but I thought it was a good idea.
Peppermint Jam
We had the same thing happen at Marham in the early 90s I was in ASF and we got called out to lift it out, we had to wait till a crane arrived from Norwich though.
ExRigger
My story is also about Marham in the early 90s I was the ASF tower and we were collecting a Tornado from one of the squadrons, it was when some review was on and we had to do our servicing's on the other side of the airfield. We had collected the aircraft and stopped at the side of the runway and my Chief radioed ATC for clearance, then said Chief said "Go", off we trundled and when we had just hit the piano keys I pointed out to chief that there was a fin showing on the other end of the runway, apparently my mate Lenny on brakes could see the whole of the Andover heading at great speed towards us but could do nothing to let us know, Yikes forget the rules about not reversing a tractor pushing an aircraft we did just that and then sat on the taxiway waving to the pilots as they went past. Chiefy was told to report to ATC and bring his driver. They gave him a good talking to and even wanted to take my license off me, I told them where to go, I was doing what I was told, in the end only Chiefy lost his. Fond memories.