PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Towing Aircraft
Thread: Towing Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2014, 10:49
camlobe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smudge and Danny,

Don't know if SENGO backed the correct horse, but he certainly had my back. What has made it the sweeter is, I never asked for his coverage, and I knew unquestionably that I had deliberately flaunted a long list of 'golden rules', especially the standard Engineering Wing Routine Order on every airfield in the RAF that thou shalt not use MT to move hangar doors. I didn't plan on setting myself up for the chop, but I did accept total responsibility for my decisions. I am guessing I must have convinced Mike Duguid that this was very much a one-off set of circumstances, and not my normal practice. Honest. Then again, we had known each other for some years, and he probably knew me better than I thought I did.

Danny,
In my day, MT would issue the licence (C if you didn't have a civil driving licence, B if you did) and after a test on each type, annotate them specifically on said licence. I had a 'B' with a 'C' attachment for our de-icing bowser before Her Majesty issued my HGV. Then everything was a 'B'. A 'C' licence was restricted to the station only i.e. not public roads.

But, it was Air Traffic that issued the airfield driving permits, and would charge anyone caught driving on "their turf" without it.

Poacher turned gamekeeper perhaps?

Old Age and Treachery,
"Will triumph over youth and spirit". Eight Squadron's best catchphrase. We probably know each other. I completely concur with your description of MD. He single-handedly steered the Great Eight's engineering forward during trying and difficult times, and had the natural gift of convincing everyone we were winning. And as for the Hindustani Granny, I have never before or since met anyone who could make up so many great lines on the go, even when rather tipsy.

Mike was a breath of fresh air to Eight, especially after the atrociously poor, spiteful and divisive J#hn Alt#n, who let the officer corp and the engineering branch down badly.

Camlobe