PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - China Southern trainee bangs up a Grob - Merredin
Old 13th Feb 2014, 08:29
Ozgrade3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As someone who has been training Chinese cadets for the last 7 years, I find some of the comments on here breathtakingly ill-informed and naive. Let me put the peripheral vision thing to rest immediately. Theirs is as good if not better than mine or any other 'westerner".

The main problem is social cultural. The one child policy has bred a generation of spoiled "emperors". Their parents naturally dote on them, and having the parents and often the extended family as well living in the same house lends itself to having a child being spoiled and never having to do anything for itself. This has been told to me by some of the more worldly cadets them selves. Indeed, some cadets are quite open in their criticism of China, their government and their own culture.

The cadets are universally talented, way smarter than I ever could hope to be, and great guys (mostly). They are sociable, engaging, mostly respectful, at times lazy, but will produce staggering work when pushed. They know how to throw a great party without the agro found in Aussie parties. I count a vast number of ex cadets as personal friends and correspond with them regularly. Indeed many still write to me for advice. As I'm not a "jet" driver, I can only offer encouragement and an ear. My first is about to make 777 Captain so I guess I must have done something right.

Skills wise they can match anything we do, however immaturity and lack of experience at thinking for ones self is their biggest negative. Some blossom in the training environment far from home, some struggle. The best would be more than competitive with any Australian.

China will not match America as a superpower at least in military terms for a couple of generations. Their social structure is far too rigid, and most of the flash military hardware is more for show. But as China absorbs more western influences, that will be a whole new ball game in the future. It's quite ironic that they adore USA basketball and call their college years Freshman, sophomore years etc.

Yes, China and it's cadets have some issues, but they have a single minded focus that we in the west have lost.

As for me, I count it as a blessing to have had this experience.

P.s. The cadet who beat me at table tennis, 21-Zot...3 games in a row, most certainly had nothing with his vision, peripheral or otherwise.

Last edited by Ozgrade3; 13th Feb 2014 at 09:07.