PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apocryphal Tales
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2014, 23:18
Wageslave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Back in the early 90s I was based at Netheravon and was told that a REME WO2 technician (who was on 658 at that time) had previously been a Gazelle or Scout pilot, but used to have a party piece which got him into a bit of trouble… its seems he used to fly with a glove puppet of ‘Sooty’ (of Sooty & Sweep fame) who he used to ‘let fly the aircraft’… On one occasion (I was told it was during GW1), Sooty was having a bit of an ‘off day’ and lost control of the aircraft whilst in the hover… clue one rather bent helicopter and one WO2 stripped of his wings. I think Sooty might have been retired at that point too!

Anyone confirm this?
Well, if so it sounds like a pretty poor copycat...

Every (RN) Gazelle pilot from ten years before that poor charlatan's tale knows that Sooty was the alter ego of a much loved CO of 705 Sqn who claimed to be (actually I believe he was) too soft hearted to chop his studes. When the dirty deed had to be done - and this is no shred of untruth - the poor hapless stude was led into the CO's office and adressed kindly yet firmly by Sooty who waved his wand and explained in gentle terms, "Shag, you're chopped!"

Bizarre as this seems this is entirely true. Further it was a masterful way to soften the awful blow of being chopped and a fine demonstration of how a humane sense of humour can soften an awful blow.

I know. First hand.

I later had occasion to write to the hand in the puppet and he replied in the most gracious and humorous manner, along with a photo of Sooty which I will treasure to the end of my days.

Uncle Trevor, a finer CO there never was, I've just retired from my subsequent career in airlines. Say thanks to Sooty for me will you? And God bless you both.