PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL exercises
Thread: PPL exercises
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2003, 16:20
Evo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PPL exercises

I've just been lent a copy of the RAF Flying Instructor's handbook for the Jet Provost T3/T4, dated July 1960, and to my surprise the exercises are almost identical to the current (JAR-FCL) PPL(A) syllabus. The introduction says that "the recommended sequence of the air exercises is the result of experience", which suggests the RAF syllabus dates back before 1960. Anyone know when it all started in its current form?

The only major differences between the RAF handbook and my copy of Trevor Thom's book 1 are that Ex 18 is Aerobatics, rather than Nav (which is moved to Ex 21) and there are Ex 20 (Night) Ex 22 (Formation flying) and Ex 23 (High Level familiarization). Ex 11 (Spinning) starts with

"Although it is not unusual for the student to be somewhat nervous during the first spins, there may be some doubt as to his suitability for further training if he continues to be apprehensive"

Finally, anyone know where I could pick up a copy/reprint/something similar? It's an excellent booklet. The cover has "A.P. 3225D" on it and it's from the Air Ministry.

Last edited by Evo; 13th Apr 2003 at 18:01.