PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MPs not holding back - MoD Annual Report.
Old 12th Feb 2014, 14:09
dallas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thing
Which was my point back in the thread re being happy to take the pay and pension but not the more onerous side of service life. Having been self employed, partially self employed, and all permutations besides being fully employed I know what it's like out there, because I am out there. I get a bit fed up with people on v. large salaries (for what they do) in the mob whining about this that and the other while nipping off early to go to the gym at lunchtime.
Yeah that's valid and mid-naughties there were still way too many folk who pulled the 'ingrowing toenail card' to get out of an OOA, yet who still seemed to manage full pay, leave and peacetime perks back home. But, towards the end of the naughties sufficient people were leaving/busy for manpower levels to bite, and the perks weren't as accesible - either due to money, staffing or both. Now the cossetted lifestyle you allude to isn't as prevalent, yet the war commitment remains (obviously!), and for many the benefit amounts to little more than free medical and dental that's essentially fattening you up for the front line! It used to be halcyon 20 years ago - it isn't now.