PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MPs not holding back - MoD Annual Report.
Old 12th Feb 2014, 10:20
thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unlike HM Forces, the outside world of "civvy business" contains a much larger manpower pool from which to recruit with more scope for incentives, not to mention ease of hiring and firing.
What I was trying to provoke was discussion on the merits of rehiring ex service members. There's your larger manpower pool. Why do the Armed Forces want or need to take raw recruits, train them at-as you say- massive cost and then when they are done discard them? How would private business deal with that?

Let's not forget that aircraft engineering/flying etc is done in the civilian world. Commercial ops hire pilots and engineers without the need to have them from year dot. If there are pinch points in the system why not put a short term contract out for personnel to relieve it?

I would also point out if you want to take the "civvies do it, why can't we" route, there are lots of things that we have, collectively, dripped about (pension, redundancy, time away) that are considerably worse outside. Be careful for what you wish for.
Which was my point back in the thread re being happy to take the pay and pension but not the more onerous side of service life. Having been self employed, partially self employed, and all permutations besides being fully employed I know what it's like out there, because I am out there. I get a bit fed up with people on v. large salaries (for what they do) in the mob whining about this that and the other while nipping off early to go to the gym at lunchtime.