PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - China Southern trainee bangs up a Grob - Merredin
Old 12th Feb 2014, 09:59
Virtually There

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was born and raised here - as were six generations of my family (if that makes any difference). But I also studied Chinese and lived there for many years, so I'm at least in a decent position to compare the two cultures you raised in your first post:

Originally Posted by Chocks Away
Discussing this with colleagues from other parts of the world one night together it was interesting what came about. Parallels in life were used, from different cultures and a consensus came about, that sadly many in the Asian & other cultures simply don't have the same depth perception, motor skills and co-ordination due to their protected upbringing... ie they have never climbed a ladder/tree to get off the ground; never driven a car/operated machinery; never been active in team sports/large groups which rely on peripheral vision and open team feedback/co-ordination...
I'm in no position to argue with experienced airline pilots about topics that are way beyond my simple GA experience.

Nor am I going to argue there isn't currency in coming up through GA ranks in terms of practical experience and motor-skills development - though I do note most military pilots (who make up a large percentage of airline pilots around the world) don't spend 15 years in Cessnas, either.

What I object to is the sterotyping of people who have "never climbed a ladder/tree to get off the ground; never driven a car/operated machinery; never been active in team sports/large groups which rely on peripheral vision and open team feedback/co-ordination" etc.

Mate, have you not - at the very least - been to Hong Kong/Beijing/Shangahi and seen the way those guys hang off bamboo scaffolding hundreds of meters in the air? Have you seen how tall those buildings are? You wouldn't get me up there for quids!

Have you never seen Asians playing soccer - arguably one of the most demanding sports there is in terms of "proprioception" and team coordination? (Let's not even talk about how well China did in the last Olympics.)

As for "protected upbringings", nothing could be further from the truth for most Chinese kids - especially those living outside the major cities.

With respect, you are stereotyping and - even if there is evidence to back your claims (and I concede that in some cases there will be) - the issue is more complex than that.

Statistically, most Chinese cadets come from well-to-do families and likely have had privileged upbringings. But they're just the first wave and, as China develops, the industry will open up to more and more young Chinese kids who want to be pilots but wouldn't have had the means in the past. It's already happening.

The point is, it's a bit of a long bow to suggest that culture is the primary cause of safety issues in aviation when in fact it is likely a socio-economic issue that is fast being addressed.

Indeed, I would argue that any decent instructor should be able spot a student's strengths and weaknesses and play to one while addressing the other.

If Asian pilots lack stick and rudder skills, then why isn't that being addressed here, where they train? I certainly don't believe they're automatically behind the eight-ball because they've "never climbed a tree" - which, again, is patently wrong.

I'm sorry if I appear to be unfairly hammering you over this, but it's something I hear time and time again - "Asians can't fly/drive/park etc because they're all uncoordinated wall flowers" - based on outdated notions of cultural upbringing.

It's simply a red herring to say Asians - especially Chinese - lack coordination, depth perception and motor skills when they are some of the most skilled sportsmen/gymnasts/acrobats/jugglers/martial artists/whatever in the world!

And please, don't get me wrong: I very much respect your aviation experience and knowledge. But on this particular topic, I believe you and others are barking up the wrong tree.

Good thing I know how to climb one!