PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OzRunways 2.whoa!
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2014, 01:38
Shagpile

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
OK developer here to do some fact checking:

Hmmm. I wonder if they sit at home, or lie awake in bed at night thinking "I wonder what feature we can throw at OzRunways"?
Yes. We have a spreadsheet of features and fixes. Development is continual. Most of it is background stuff (databases, maps, data amendments, payment systems, email support, documentation, booking and attending fly-ins, business stuff, contracts, licensing, legal stuff, etc). About 20% of work is actually coding for the app.

For example of the features on my list is to make the app scroll seamlessly across the dateline. Most people won't even notice this (except in NZ) but it will take me around a week of solid coding time to do it. There are tons of things like this that go into development that you may not even notice, so when we list 20 things fixed or updated, don't feel overwhelmed if you do not understand them. The existing functionality will not have changed.

Or. Does the email inbox go boing...I'd love it more if you added this and that
Every day. Multiple emails. 90% of them responded to with no sorry, that will make it too complex for most users.

Fuel-Tank timer: This is mean to stop when not moving. For some reason the iPad is sending alerts when stationary too. I have axed this from the next update. In the mean time you can disable by going into iPad Settings -> Notification Center.

Area frequencies -- use the HUD boxes at the top. Hold down your finger on the box and set it to FIA freq. There may be a bug with the map popup in v4.0. There are a ton of fixes in v4.0.1 coming soon.

Weather radar blank box....Are you on an iPhone? Tap on the picture and it closes.

"Downloading db update" -- this is important. Whenever there is a data amendment, AIP SUP update, or any other changes or maps we add, we need to push a new database. This is a small 2mb index of files, maps and waypoints. The app REQUIRES this to run. It is functionally equivalent of downloading the latest GPS Database to a card once a month and inserting it into your GPS box. Except in OzRunways you don't need to do anything except open the app with internet. I'm not sure how this is complicated -- it does not require any user input at all.

ADS-B IN with Raspberry Pi. This will not make things more complex. If you don't have the ADS-B box, you are not affected. On the whole, I've got a LOT of positive feedback about this and a lot of people have ordered parts to make their own boxes. The whole point of this is not a $10,000 certified box, but a way for aviation nerds (most pilots), to make something themselves that can value add to their flying or aviation interest in general.

In terms of features overwhelming the complexity of the app, I have covered this in a previous post. Every feature is weighed against the added complexity. I'm very much aware of this and I need to cover two types of users:

1) Simple: "I just want to turn the damn thing on and go flying. Let me change maps and make a simple flight plan"

2) Complex: "I want to be able to do a complex IFR plan using air-routes, show me W&B for each sector and circling areas on arrival.

#1 can still do this in OzRunways. Turn it on, choose your map and go flying. I'm not sure how adding other features (mostly buried in Settings menu's) affect this.

The trick is adding features for #2 people without affecting #1 people.

If you're still reading, wow!