PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BELFAST AIRPORT INTERNATIONAL
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2014, 01:14
EI-BUD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote from Ali Gayward "Moving to Belfast City Airport was always a trial, but in over a year we have seen no tangible benefits."

I would hardly describe the above as a flawed assessment. In fairness though if BIA were running things right I don't think easy would have moved down to the city in the first place.
ILS25;
I completely respect your acceptance of easyJets assessment. However, if all things had been equal, ie there were no significant changes in the market the same period in the year before etc, it would be easy to call . When easyJet moved their LTN route to BHD a lot of things were at play;
1. AerLingus had recently arrived at BFS with a LHR route
2. Ryanair had recently arrived at BHD with a STN route, carrying 30k pax per month at fares as low as £1 each way all in
3. Recession was making for toughest winter period flying we had seen for some time

Hence, without understanding how they arrived at their assessment we can only speculate . Maintaining passenger numbers and achieving the same revenue and yield may not suggest that there were no tangible benefits . To achieve that would be spectacular at that time .

I'm not suggesting that BHD was a better option for easyJet as clearly there are limiting factors that yield the airport unattractive namely restrictive opening hours, but I simply am not convinced that the results of the BHD experiment were conclusive....