PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Towing Aircraft
Thread: Towing Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2014, 22:18
camlobe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another one #3

Shy's comment reminds me of the following.

Panic detachment to investigate and recover a Shack at Topcliffe. Linton (or was it Leeming) supplied and delivered a tractor and power set. We arrived after an eight hour trip in a four-speed Sherpa, no doubt the worst piece of MT ever.

At the time, Topcliffe was an army base with a small aviation contingent, JEFTS (Joint Elementary Flying Training Squadron), the starting point for RAF and RN pilots.

Linton had towed our Shack into JEFTS hangar, which was then filled up with their Bulldogs. Needless to say, our kite was at the end of the hangar with the hangar doors that hadn't been used for decades. Parked by the Shack was the tractor and power set.

Camlobe needs to get the Shack out and ground run the suspect engine to confirm his phone diagnosis. Problems are, the hangar doors are seized, the power set is huge and in the back of a Bedford 8-tonner, and the tractor is a Tug, and Linton Mt will take at least an hour to get to us.

The rules say, we can't use MT on hangar doors; I can't drive the 8-tonner as I don't have it specified on my RAF driving licence; and, although I am a towing instructor and examiner, I most definitely do not have Tug on my licence.

For the only time in my career, I issue a direct order...to my team to assist me and I state most clearly that it is my decision and my decision alone, and if it turns to a can of worms, I'll carry the can solo. To a man, they have no qualms about what was going to happen next, safe in the knowledge that their careers will be intact.

The Tug was used successfully to open and close the seized doors three times in total, and a considerable amount of paint was transferred from Tug to doors.

We had the aircraft back on line following an engine change, and everyone pleased with the result.

Except for OC MT at Linton.

Upon return to base, I went straight to SENGO's office and fully briefed him of events, warts and all. I emphasised the point that the team were merely following my direct orders, and no blame or fault should be attributed to them. When he asked why I made the decisions I did, I stated I was doing my best to ensure we could continue to meet our 'Q' commitment in the safest and quickest manner.

Over the next couple of weeks, SENGO would call and ask " so you had no licence for the tug?' 'No, sir'. 'And you used the tug for opening and closing the hangar doors?' 'Yes, sir'. 'And you knew that was wrong?' 'Yes, sir'. 'Hmmm'. In Cyprus a couple of weeks later. "Camlobe, SENGO on the phone". Questions once again same as above. Then silence. I never heard another thing again. I had expected a severe punishment for my serious transgressions, but nothing.

A year later, I was I/C Doomwatch. One of the lads found the Squadron Occurance folder that had been left on the debrief desk by mistake. "Hey, camlobe, you're in here". Who ME? Sure enough, the whole episode described above was in graphic detail. The Linton OC MT wanted my blood. Even Lossiemouth OC Eng Wing wanted my blood. And he gave SENGO a hard time.

SENGO backed me to the hilt without reservation. This was the first I knew. Mike Duguid, I still owe you many beers and fine malts for that one.

Camlobe

P.S. No one ever asked or fussed about me using the Tug to tow the Shack in and out of the hangar or driving the 8-tonner. Proof that paintwork is more important than rules???