PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Towing Aircraft
Thread: Towing Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2014, 13:00
Exrigger

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
peppermint_jam's photo I thought was going to be of the German Tornado at St Athan post Air Show day in I think 93, but it was not allthough looks exactly the same state regard sinking as that one did. The background for the St Athan one was the towing teams are directed which aircraft and what order that the aircraft where moved from the static line to the active line for dispatch.

The Tornado's had to be moved first but there was not enough wing tip clearance between the RH wing tip and the nose of the other aircraft on the only route that could be used, when requesting advice it was basically sort it out, so as it had been a lovely sunny period the airfield grass was dry and earth solid provided you made sure the RH wheel was at least 3 foot onto the grass, 2 aircraft had been moved with success in this manner, but the third the RH mainwheel was moved the minimum amount off the taxi way and immediately sunk in one of the few soft spots around, it ended up like the one in picture above.

Several hours later when the wheel ended up bogged down even more by trying to pull it out with larger and larger vehicles (pushing and pulling) and the towing rescue sling, one full defuel once all the kit was assembled to empty the wing tanks, then somone listened to those that would have removed the aircraft hours earlier by digging a trench and laying a sheet of runway repair plate down, within 15/20 minutes after doing this the aircraft was successfully returned to the flight line and departed post refuel.

The debrief took a long time as well, as apparently it was my fault for succesfully doing it that way with the other aircraft.