PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Habsheim
Thread: Habsheim
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2014, 12:32
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Scott
It is not unreasonable to speculate that, notwithstanding the briefing recorded on the CVR, Capt Asseline may have planned to fly below 100ft all along.
I'd say that's probably unlikely, given that such intent would have constituted a deliberate breach of AF's rules regarding display flights - specifically a "hard deck" of 100ft. Notwithstanding the somewhat contradictory DGAC rule specifying 500ft, Asseline would have rightly expected to be hung out to dry if it could be proven he intended to go any lower than the regs allowed for.

Regarding competency, I think it would have been impossible for a pilot to be selected for that role without being a very competent hand-flyer, and you're right about his holding the altitude fairly stable. However on this occasion it was his decision-making that fell short - a consequence of which was substandard thrust and speed management.

As you've said before, there was ample opportunity to circle, descend and then achieve a more stable short final - I believe that the old "press-on-itis" psychology had a hand in their not doing so.

Last edited by DozyWannabe; 11th Feb 2014 at 13:06.