PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flt. Lt. Sean Cunningham inquest
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2014, 07:30
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Easy Street

Superb post, but (to coin a phrase) you were doing so well until............

Three - To Chug et al, do you really believe that today's VSOs would deliberately drag the good name of junior personnel in their premier PR and recruiting tool through the mud for the sole purpose of diverting attention
I thought, to coin another phrase, that had been proven beyond any doubt whatsoever. While the SI report goes further than most others in overt criticism, it is what it DOES NOT say that is insidious. I firmly believe the members have been misled, by omission. If not, they have made themselves look stupid and withheld vital safety information.

After such a comprehensive investigation (within limits set by VSOs) is it not odd they present their 59 recommendations as revelations? While there is obviously a hint of systemic failures across MoD, you have to be pretty up on MoD procedures and practices to realise most of the recommendations are mandated policy, yet widely ignored in practice. The "organisation" they look at is the Red Arrows; not the MoD as a whole. That compartmentalisation POLICY is a proven killer.

It may be that the MAA is responsible for asking "Is there a wider applicability?" but it has demonstrated, again beyond any doubt, that it continues to trod the old path of protecting the current and past VSOs. An independent MAA would have no such qualms.

I'd like to think the MAA, in the background, is whispering in senior ears at wine and cheese dos "FFS, this has got to stop", but the secrecy they foster is not helping either SIs or MoD staffs who are weighed down by poor resources and illegal practices that have become policy.

Again, a simple fact; It remains an offence to refuse to obey an order to make a false declaration; but is not an offence to issue that order. The MAA was formally told of this, and the resultant fatalities, in the presence of Minister (AF) in 2011. DE&S policy branch have stated it in writing and briefed Minsters consistently, over many years. The Head of the Civil Service ruled so in December 2012. That ruling is not a good foundation. It eats at you and requires a strong person to do the right thing. In April 2003, PUS confirmed only one person in MoD thought it correct to follow the regulations. I suppose, then, the existence of the MAA is minor progress of sorts! But at huge cost.