PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Right to bear arms (Split Duh!)
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2003, 03:32
Groundgripper

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
T_richard

Sure we protested, individually and through our national shooting associations, both to politicians and through the press.

Unfortunately, pistol shooters are a small minority in the UK and are regarded as politically insignificant by both politicians and (especially) by the press who knew that they had got hold of a good story and saw great opportunities for increasing their circulation figures by campaigning for a ban. The politicians also recognised that, in the face of this press campaign, any member of parliament who stood up for shooters would stand a significant chance of not being re-elected next time round. It happened shortly before a general election, increasing their instincts for self preservation. As BEagle said, it was a vocal minority, ably supported by a compliant press, that campaigned for a ban.

I believe that there is still an action against the government going through the European Courts to the effect that shooters have had their human rights infringed by this ban.

My wife and I make no secret of the fact that we both indulge in target shooting as a sport, should the subject arise in the course of conversation - we do not, however, go around advertising the fact. In the six years since Dunblane, neither of us has met anyone who has believed that the handgun gun ban was put in place for other than reasons of political expedience, or that it has resulted in a significant decrease in gun related crime.

PS: is anyone else amazed that this thread hasn't been moved to another forum?