PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the future of the Red Arrows?
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2014, 20:54
Tiger_mate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my last 3 years in the Service - I had to write (Draft for ACOS) annually the case for retaining RAFAT.

- RAFAT contribute more to defence diplomacy than all of the other Display Teams/events mentioned on this or an other similar threads.
A job which I dare say gets more difficult in each passing year. Though with respect, this sounds like parliamentary speak. What exactly does an albeit outstanding aerobatic team equipped with 32 year old jets contribute to defence diplomacy, or even, what is defence diplomacy?

The Wiki answer:
The United Kingdom identified defence diplomacy as one of the military’s eight defence missions, and aims to “dispel hostility, build and maintain trust and assist in the development of democratically accountable armed forces” to make a “significant contribution to conflict prevention and resolution.”[5] Defence diplomacy is often developed and implemented in close coordination with the foreign and development ministries to ensure coherence and focus across government.
FWIW, I too believe the Govt is writing cheques in the name of international kudos that there is no money in the bank to sustain. ...... And sooner or later, innocent bystanders will fall in order to try and balance the books. Desirable items are the first to go for as long as some assets retain an Essential classification. It should be all foreign financial aid to go first.... But it wont be.