PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Towing Aircraft
Thread: Towing Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2014, 17:03
Exrigger

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
camlobes story reminds of something similar that happened to me whilst on 203 Sqn Nimrod MR1s. Sat on brakes as we were towing the aircraft back onto the pan, all going well with me listening intently for the instructions from the I/C towing team as camlobe stated the brief the brakeman is always given is do as the I/C tow tells you. So there I was enjoying the Maltese sun when I thought that was odd we are moving backwards, still I heard nothing and assumed all was under control, had a look out the window and thought ' I hope the wingtip bloke and I/C has noticed how close the LH wing is to the hangar stanchions, when a rather frantic person (i/c tow) loomed into view screaming for brakes, which were duly applied before the aircraft hit said stanchion. At the wash up it appears the tug driver had lurched a bit while starting up a slight slope and broke the shear pin, this was my fault apparently for not realizing that and putting the brakes under my own initiative.

I actually have seen and been involved in a number of towing incidents with Tornado (including a 'I learnt about speeding on a wet & negative camber taxiway in the dark) and Chinook over my 30 years of being brake man, tower and I/C, Some involving Air logs trailers and runway RHAG engagement at St Athan, some involving ATC and Victor tanker landing while we were trying to recover a Tornado of the runway at Marham.