PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Follow the greens !
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2014, 14:52
JennyPolar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ASMCGS Requirements ICAO Level 4.
Check point - 3.5.2 Does not include
I couldn't find the above reference in the ICAO A-SMGCS Manual. In my version of that document (Doc 9830 AN/452, 1st Ed. 2004), the implementation levels I - V given in Annex B are introduced as a recommendation for airports depending on operations in the lowest visibility conditions, traffic density and aerodrome layout. For DXB, the following conditions are met:
  • Visibility Condition '3': Visibility sufficient for the pilot to taxi but insufficient for the pilot to avoid collision with other traffic on taxiways and at intersections by visual reference, and insufficient for personnel of control units to exercise control over all traffic on the basis of visual surveillance. For taxiing, this is normally taken as visibilities equivalent to an RVR of less than 400 m but more than 75 m
  • Traffic Density 'Heavy' (H): 26 or more movements per runway or typically more than 35 total aerodrome movements
  • Aerodrome Layout 'Complex' (C): An aerodrome with more than one runway, having many taxiways to one or more apron areas
These 3 criterias classify DXB as aerodrome type T-27, for which ICAO recommends implementation level IV, including the following functions to be provided by systems:
  • Surveillance (Glossary: "A function of the system which provides identification and accurate position information on aircraft, vehicles and obstacles within the designated area.")
  • Control (conflict prediction and/or detection, conflict analysis, conflict resoltion)
  • Routing: (section 2.5.2: "[...] the routing
    function of an A-SMGCS should: a) be able to designate a route for each aircraft orvehicle within the movement area; [...]
    )
  • Guidance (automatic switched centre line lights)
So it's up to you guys at DXB to decide if you're going to have a level IV system or not.