PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The way we were - Ansett, TAA, Qantas
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2014, 13:28
Eastwest Loco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's exactly what my father (TN LAME) told me as a little kid airsupport.

The 700 Series would never fly again. the single spar wing had brought their demise but the 800 would carry on as they were twin spar.

All of these accidents were taken personally by Dad as his job was to keep aeroplanes and people safe.

I was only 4 but clearly remember him coming home on a mid winter night absolutely devastated that TFB had been lost on approach to Mackay. I was also reduced to tears when I found out that the cut open for display Dart on display in the TAA Franklin St terminal was actually one from the ill fated aeroplane. Not a good way to start your days work in Res. Too many echoes.

Even today as a museum or historical society you would not be able to place a Viscount 700 on the Australian Register as an operational aeroplane. They have been black banned for years and years.

Fantome - I accept the "idiot" to go with the savant, but believe I have been totally accurate in everything I have recounted. The WNY DPO incident included a gentleman in the F/O position who among other things including some financial was adept from what I heard in falsifying log books and was finally pinged for that in Malaysia. When he stepped off the aeroplane he was white as a ghost and said "He yelled yoiks tally ho and opened the throttles and dived". Only time I have seen that person rattled.

I believe he had lost his Captiancy for some reason at that time.

For those that might remember Laurie McGuire who was a TN 25 year Club member passed away at 2330 Friday night. Did a good job at mid 80s. Some of the older crew may remember him from TN997 services into Devonport. I am pretty sure he didn't do the TN990 very often.

Enough rabbiting on.

Best all

EWL