PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Job Hunting
Thread: Job Hunting
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2014, 07:48
FiveHundred_AGL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Job Hunting

Greetings all,
I've started that all important, infamous job hunt, searching for that first real break in aviation with a fresh CPL (A). First of all I have read some other threads here, and don't worry, by no means am I asking others out there to virtually write my CV for me, or give me a magical phone number where my first job is guaranteed, I'm simply asking for any advice which you can give, before I start spending my last bit of money.

First of all I live in South Australia, have just under 350 hours, including 100 hours multi PIC, and over 40 night PIC; I hold a current MECIR with all aids, NVFR, FIR (3), Baron and Duchess endorsements, tailwheel, aerobatics, DGA, First Aid, ATPL exams passed, and of course the necessities; an ASIC and Class 1 medical.

So as you can imagine, the bank account is fully aware of my new CPL, MECIR, FIR, and all the rest, and it's now time to gather up everything I have left, and start searching. I have looked around locally for a position as an instructor with little success, so given the time of year it is (February), I have decided to pack up, head north, and start representing myself in person.

So what I ask, is any advice at all, I really don't know anyone who has been in my position before, so I have had little advice personally. I mean at the moment my plan is to buy an airline ticket to Darwin, find somewhere cheap to sleep, taxi it to the airport the following day all dressed up and simply start door knocking with my resume in hand. I'll take it from there and continue to travel and search north. So far I really don't even know which companies to ask, obviously Google will be a great aid there; I do plan on conducting some research before I go, but this was my starting point, a push in the right direction might ensure I spend my time researching the right info.

Just another fresh CPL looking for ANY advice on breaking into the industry really, but I guess what I'm really after is -

When packing up and traveling north, how long should I expect to be in one place, I mean do I go to Darwin, apply everywhere in person, then fly to another location immediately, etc.

Should I take my car, or would I expect one taxi trip to and fro the airports and smaller aerodromes and that's it?

What really are all the small places I should visit? Broome, Alice Springs, kununurra?

Any help much appreciated, thanks.