PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HK AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL BLOG
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2014, 07:15
bekolblockage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Basically, it calls for tracking to Rover or Porpa, as appropriate, then a LEFT turn to a track of 182 degrees
Firstly, I think the original writer meant a RIGHT turn to track 182 after PORPA/ROVER. At least I hope so.

Would the right turn really cause an issue?
I believe the right turn Psychohk is talking about in the blog refers to a non-standard engine-out missed approach from 07L turning slightly right to ROVER, the 07L SID waypoint, (before turning down the West Lamma Channel) instead of the standard MAP which turns left 15 degrees.
The standard MAP is considered procedurally separated from the 07R SID, even in IMC, but has a climb gradient requirement of 7%.

As you can imagine, if the non-standard MAP to ROVER was commenced unannounced when a departure was just airborne for PORPA, things can get pretty sporting very quickly in IMC with little way out except a lot of finger-crossing.
Certainly if made aware that an engine out missed approach was likely, the departure would be held, as we do in Dependent (or Coordinated, as we call it here) Mode.

Last edited by bekolblockage; 10th Feb 2014 at 07:28.