PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Free upgrades... for the brazen
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2014, 18:52
Cymmon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was upgraded once on Qatar Airways. A last minute booking so just went for economy as I expected the full price so close to be prohibitive.
Second leg DOH-MNL , I queued as usual to get on. As soon as I presented my card I was told I must go with the check in agent at the side. Panic on my side, no seat??? But no a pleasant surprise, we are full tonight sir so your gold card gives you an upgrade!!

I boarded, the service as usual in business was fantastic. But, due to the fact that I hadn't paid for the ticket I only accepted the most basic of services. I didn't use the free amenities pack, pyjama's or blanket. I had the meals which are always good on Qatar whichever class, but mainly had water, rather than the wines.

Downside: the gentleman next to me was not happy with my jeans and T-shirt dress code. He had a quiet word to the stewardess, who had to come and check my boarding card. They already knew......
They had a quiet word with the gentleman, that as this was his first ever trip with Qatar and I had actually travelled with them numerous times, maybe I had more say in who I should be sat next too and that my Gold card status proved that. He deemed not to speak to me during the entire flight.

My return was in economy, and it was a fantastic service throughout both flights. I would not hesitate to fly economy with them again. But I must admit I was unsure but felt very privileged to be given the upgrade.

I would never ask for a free upgrade.

PS: anyone from Qatar airways, I visit Manila in November.....