PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The way we were - Ansett, TAA, Qantas
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2014, 17:53
Dora-9

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts
arsupport:

Despite your tendency to take over this thread and turn it into a "look at me" thread (I've really enjoyed the photos though), please don't start condescendingly lecturing me on what can/can't be discussed here.

Wherever did I start showing disrespect towards the victims of this awful accident? Having seen, on the ground, the remains of RMQ a few days after that accident - I wish I never had, the sights and smells remain with me today - I don't appreciate being told I'm being insensitive or disrespectful or unaware of the horrible realities that lie behind these accidents.

You maintain that you know more than the investigators on the basis that "...I was there for the whole investigation" - as a 20 year-old I can well imagine you were at the forefront of this - and blindly follow the line that absolutely nothing changed. I concede that crews were never given the means of extinguishing a cabin blower fire (other than shutting down the engine), but the awareness factor, both in training and with the "pretty light" indication, assuredly did change things.

There is absolutely no intended criticism of the crew of RMI here, and it's easy to say with the benefit of hindsight, but had they have had the "pretty light" indication plus the awareness of the implications of this, then they could well have acted sooner and possibly never got into the uncontrollable fire scenario - every pilot's nightmare.