PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 31 yrs old: should I bother?
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2003, 21:03
flyingtomato

Just a view from someone midway between your position and the airline world. I am 33, was 30 when I made the leap. Was very fortunate to get a good sponsorship, worked hard, made the grades without mishap and still love every minute of it. You do need a lot of luck, I am currently riding the luck roller coaster on a downward trajectory! Uncertain of airline future due to recent well publisized takeover. Not too upset though because I never counted my chickens in the first place. Flying is a bit of a voyage of self discovery, know yourself from the outset and you will know whether you are going to succeed. There are many obstacles on the way, most of them out of the blue, you just have to be prepared to jump over them.
You definately need: unlimited enthusiasm, sufficient funds, self confidence and a supportive wife. You seem to have all of them so luck will probably attach itself to you. Those who started 3-4 years ago have probably endured the worst it will ever get. The next 5 years will be better. Best of luck.