PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWQUAY
Thread: NEWQUAY
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2014, 11:53
Martin the Martian

Received 54 Likes on 22 Posts
I regularly use the trains in Cornwall for work; long distance trains, and particularly those to/from Paddington, pick up and drop off a lot of people burdened with suitcases as they travel through the county, even at this time of year.

Yes, had the seawall at Dawlish crumbled in the last week of school in July, it would be a much bigger catastrophe, but even at this time of year it is not by any stretch of the imagination a minor event. And I cannot see it being repaired within six weeks, so if you were hoping to travel down by train for the Easter hols,then perhaps you ought to be looking at alternatives.

The tourism industry is going to take a big hit over the next couple of months for sure, and even after it is repaired a lot of people who might have come to the south west for a week may well choose to go elsewhere because the area will be perceived as being in ruins. Personally speaking I own a shop in Truro, and though I'm not dependent on tourists, I'm always grateful for the extra revenue they generate, which I factor in to my expectations. Other traders I know are bricking themselves, and with good cause.

Anyway, back on topic...

Last edited by Martin the Martian; 9th Feb 2014 at 11:54. Reason: grammar