PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norwegian B737 Pilot selection (Updated)
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2014, 09:14
captplaystation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I remember when I joined, there was never an offer of "Core Position" after a specified time period, basically if vacancies arose, you could bid if you wished. There were (if I remember ) 50 such vacancies in 2012 & 36 in 2013, a small percentage compared to the 300+ contractors joining in the period.

There were a bunch of guys & gals given "Temporary K area contracts" when they joined last Spring, it appears some of these may have been extended, so these folk effectively have a core contract (out of seniority). The justification given was that most line training for new entrants takes place in Scandilands where more short sectors are available, this however doesn't really justify these individuals being used in an ongoing fashion. More of these "new entrant K area contracts" will take place this year + the company has recently advertised "temporary Core FO positions" (don't know how many ) for which many Contract Capts applied in the hope they would have "temporary Core Capt" for Summer. . .a ploy that will probably work, as NAS can ill afford to have Capts languishing in the RHS.

It is a very complicated situation, and the NAS seniority list is quite something to behold. The root cause, of course, is the Unions desire to have everything done according to seniority, however, so many variations have taken place that the list is a "dogs dinner of convenience" heavily modified to take account of the fact that NAS need Capts in the LHS not RHS.

I would imagine it will continue like this as long as the expansion continues, or until a common seniority exists as agreed with the Union last Autumn.

As posted above, don't contemplate a core position if you join now, as you are several hundred places down a list that is not shrinking appreciably. What you will (or at least should ) be offered is a permanent position with a "wholly owned NAS subsidiary at your base" after 2 years (but note "extendable in exceptional circumstances to 3" . . .and it was in HEL ) however, as I stated in my post #23 in the Norwegian A320NEO thread , lets wait till March & see what HEL crew are offered & exactly what constitutes a "wholly owned subsidiary company"