PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Alan's still not happy......
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2014, 00:33
FYSTI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you redefine the word CONSPIRACY, to mean acting in concert, then everything and anything we do with other people in this world can be termed an act of conspiracy.
Precisely - that is exactly what I was saying. As I said, it is much more subtle and nuanced than a binary choice. People work 'breathe together' (see below) together to achieve an end all the time. The ends may be criminal, evil or even noble.

No redefinition of the word is required. It is from the Latin to 'breathe together', in English it has always meant to "work together" for a purpose. My definition of the word conspire is based on the Oxford English Dictionary (OED), 1888 - online copy available at archive.org - and the actual file is HERE (large file 250+M).

But if you want to go on trust, page 871:

Originally Posted by Oxford English Dictionary
Conspire
ad. L. conspirare lit 'to breathe together', whence, 'to accord, harmonize, agree, combine or unite in a purpose, plot mischief together secretly'.]

... There are numerous other definitions that include both mischief and non-mischief ends.

But that is the word definition game, my point still stands, to simply label the world in the binary view that things are a either a conspiracy or a non-conspiracy is totally meaningless - impotent exactly as you state. All of us are working to pursue our own ends & happiness, and that usually means working in concert with others.

As to the morality, ethics, nobility or legality of the deeds and ends such working produces is a different argument. It may be perfectly legal to conspire ('breathe together') with others to cut a workers pay , and pass those saving directly to a manager or owner. Is that evil, ethical or noble? Does it not depend upon which point it is viewed & by whom?

Of course people work together to maximise benefit to themselves, quite often at the expense of someone else [zero sum game]. Labelling that process as some crackpot "conspiracy theory" is the error that I am pointing out. It is totally redundant & meaningless as you state, that is exactly my point. Because it is so self evident, we all do it most of the time. It is the essence of being human, to work with others, both for good & evil.

The term "conspiracy theory" has been co-opted to be used as a term to denigrate others by the modern media to shut opposing views. Remember, the NSA/Britain/Australia/Canada/NZ spying on virtually every electronic communication the entire planet generated, was, until 6 months ago another theory that should be dismissed as it was another crank "conspiracy theory". People who pointed out the obvious clues where howled down as nutters. The term "conspiracy theory" has become a very power piece of propaganda conditioning that has be used to suppress the flow of information that the wealthy and powerful deem dangerous to their pursuit of their ends.