PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multicom vs area frequency
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2014, 21:35
andrewr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’ll never be a ‘biggie’, but if I were and I was organising myself for a straight in approach to Mildura from the West, I know on which frequency I’d prefer an aircraft operating from a strip to West of Mildura that isn’t in ERSA or marked on any chart to be broadcasting its taxi call …
Mildura CTAF? IIRC you are supposed to broadcast on the CTAF frequency when in the vicinity of an airfield and your operations may conflict with operations at the airfield.

As I see it, radio broadcasts at this type of strip are primarily about coordinating operations in the circuit i.e. at or below 1000 AGL. Outside the circuit there's not much practical difference between someone planning to land at an unmarked strip, or just flying around.

For your own private strip that isn't marked on charts there is not much value in broadcasting intentions, unless there may be more than one aircraft operating. If you have a BBQ and a dozen of your mates are flying in, and they will be doing a few sightseeing flights as well, there is value in broadcasting taxying/inbound/circuit calls etc. I wouldn't think it would be welcome on area though.