PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2014, 19:39
Danny42C

Union Jack,

What a pearl of a link ! And how many questions begged, and how many trains of thought started !

How high was the tower ? * (he "travelled" 200 m, but I would think mostly VV ops style, ie "as a brick"). Lucky to get away with two broken legs; obviously the proto P/O Prune; should have been canonised as Patron Saint of hang-gliders; abbots are wise men; note alembic (?) at bottom of stained glass panel, obvious fire risk, hence earthernware pot (fire-ext, required by 11th century H&S ?); * I can't find how high the tower was, the spire is 131 m high, but obviously he wouldn't have launched himself from its base tower as he'd bounce off the roof on the way down.

"Elmer's Tune" has always been a favourite of mine....D.

MPN11,

I rather like Mr.Duggan's "find the position within a wide area" (done a lot of that in my time !); No "cocked hat" ? - what a "fix" (in every sense !); what interests me are his cuff rings. Similar to the C&E Preventive Service of those days (could he have doubled as Customs officer there ?)

In my time ('73-'86) the Officers wore RN width Lieutenant's rings - can't remember the Assistants, who may have had one thin ring (picture size). What I am sure about is that then the Chief Preventive Officer (obsolescent rank) wore three narrow ones (all ranks still with curl). Except their later equivalents at overseas bases, who went around masquerading as Lieut-Commanders RN....D.

Cheers, both. Danny