PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing down during final approach.
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2014, 17:15
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My instructor taught me exactly thus way, so I guess he agreed with you
Pilots will often argue over different methods of controlling an airplane based on what they were taught...sometimes what they were taught is not always the best method to get the job done.....

......I started this thread so I am comfortable defending my method of flying the approach, flare and landing.

Lets go back in time and have a look at why we flew the way we did.

For years I flew DC3's on scheduled airline routes from northern Ontario into the arctic under the IFR rules of the time ( 1960's / 1970's ) , most of the northern landing sites in the winter were ice strips and for runway edge lights they set out flare pots which were containers with toilet paper rolls soaked in heating fuel oil.

For navigation we relied on the ADF and if we could get on top we used the astro compass for accurate heading information.

The approaches were flown using a NDB at almost all sites and our landing visibility limits were 400 feet ceiling and 1 mile vis......which could vary wildly during the approach especially if there was blowing snow at the surface.

Now just imagine the work load during the approach, why would we want to do it with crossed controls???

Flying in the Arctic we had simple rules such as don't overload yourself during critical phases of flight and don't eat the yellow snow.

So exactly as expected, you do use cross controls Chuck, yet you have enough expertise to leave the cross controlling part until late in the flare right?
Yes.

And taking into consideration that the above use of the flight controls is not black magic I am a firm believer in teaching new pilots how to comfortably perform these basic maneuvers right from the start.

Teach it right the first time always trumps trying to re-teach it.