PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing down during final approach.
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2014, 16:44
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well there is certainly no harm in digging deep Chuck. We are now onto 11 pages of debate yet the first posts to even attempt an explanation are #195 and #201. I looked at your profile and its clear you have a wealth of experience to offer and bearing in mind this is a private pilots forum, why not clearly explain your method to help them.
Obviously this subject has garnered much interest as shown by how long it has gone on.

It would be self defeating for me to try and dissect every comment made here and make it look like my way is the only way.

Remember I post using my real name and therefore before I offer my suggestions I try and make sure what I am suggesting is not to badly flawed.

So.....in #195 I do not teach the method that is given at 3:45 minutes into the video. I crab to the flare and depending on the airplane I am flying my use of slip at or just after the flare will determine how much cross controls I will need to keep the airplane stable into the touch down and the roll out portion of the landing.

By the time my students got to the landing part of learning to fly they clearly understood the basics of flight...Attitudes and movements.

And I do use some American exercises early in the training such as turns around a point on windy days and pylon eights on windy days.