PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF471 - Nov 16th 2011 - Final Report
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2014, 13:46
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has it been determined what caused the ‘No Land 3’ alert? This appears to be the initiating factor in the event.

But it still begs the question what is AF SOP's. In a previous life & a different a/c LAND 3 = Fail operational autoland. LAND 2 = Fail Passive autoland. In both cases it was continue and autoland. Why the G/A? What was briefed before the approach. Some airlines had the policy Land 3 = CAT 3 & Land 2 = CAT 2. That would require a change of DH. Why for heavens sake did they have this idea? HE only knows, but they though it was simpler for the crews to remember. Either way it was still a continue and autoland.

I'd like to know the human factors involved in this event and what the SOIP's are. If the G/A was not necessitated by SOP's then why did they do it? Was the call "Alarm" an SOP by any pilot, and following such a call is the SOP to G/A?

I would have expected a CAT 3 approach to have been briefed fully and well understood by all. This brief would have included the "alarm" call if it was an SOP.
Was the G/A initiated by any confusion caused by such a call? When in doubt etc. etc. but it still begs the question……...