PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADS-B Mandate – ATCs Responsible for Deaths?
Old 7th Feb 2014, 22:36
Old Akro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know where there is a list of specifically which navaids are being decommissioned? I saw a list years ago, but now I can't find anything.

Why do I ask? Because CASA are forcing me to plan a complete panel relay to fit a new C146a GPS and Mode S transponder, I thought it would be appropriate to reconsider what navaids I need. I'd really like to be able to consider what Navaids will be available at my common destinations over the likely life of the new panel. Unreasonable??

Secondly, I have read many times about how these aids are old and uneconomic. I've read how upgrade will cost vaguely $120m, but I have seen nothing that actually looks like someone has built up a number from real costs. If the $120m relates to the 200-odd navaids that will be shutdown, then this averages at $600,000 per unit. However it appears that a brand new Nautel or Thales NDB installation (using an existing building with existing power) might be as little as AUD$50,000.

Does anyone at all get to see real figures and scrutinise them?

Here is an interesting presentation from Nautel:

http://www.nautelnav.com/wp-content/...DB-Systems.pdf

I like the line that NDB's are the navigation aid of last resort and therefore mission critical.

Here is the Thales product:

https://www.thalesgroup.com/sites/de..._datasheet.pdf

Thales boast 35,000 hours between failures. That's inferring 4 years between maintenance. Combined with a running cost less than that to light the average AsA bureaucrat's office the AsA's bleats that its too expensive don't smell right.

But going back to my original question, it would be nice to have some guidelines for (say) the next 10 years before I spend my money.

For GA, ILS is now basically worthless. We have less runways with ILS than Malaysia (do I need to say... Mildura?). This is a country we have just donated 2 customs ships to! VOR's are uncommon outside the J curve. NDB's are the lifeline in remote Australia. But which ones will remain? Does AsA have a plan or are they making it up as they go?