PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - West Atlantic
Thread: West Atlantic
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2014, 19:50
finals24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Viperstings - my read of the situation is that the 737's have come on stream very quickly and the Company has had to juggle with the desire to move turboprop guys (LHS to RHS 737) and recruit TR 737 drivers.
I think that you will find that only a small number of low hours FO's have been recruited in the (desperate) need to crew the 737's for commercial reasons (faster).
There is also the difficulty of moving LHS TP guys into the RHS of the jet (I think it would be very difficult to justify moving LHS to LHS as the 737 is a very different beast to fly and takes a while to adjust - which the guys certainly will). I also believe the the LHS TP guys are paid more than a direct entry 737 FO.

Add these factors together and it perhaps explains AA's strategy. As I said earlier, the arrival of the 737 is very good news for the TP pilots whom I believe are excellent operators and will progress onto the 737. Don't forget that there will now be movement from the 737 fleet to other operators UNLESS AA starts to match the pay of the others. This will create further opportunities for the ATP pilots.

I know it is not the perfect scenario, but it seems to me to make commercial sense and the Company appears to be doing well.