PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NDB approaches in light aircraft
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2014, 19:06
thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for example in my club, people can train (and do in fact train) for their PPL in G1000 equipped SR20s or 172s.
Just noticed your location so fair comment (don't know what the GA scene is like in the US). Suffice to say that most club pilots in the UK will smile in grim recognition when I talk about flying on the standby because the DI has packed in again or having gear that works when there's an 'R' in the month.

Still, keeps you sharp. I expect stuff to pack up.

I suppose GA flying in the US is completely different to here. Bigger mountains, deserts, all sorts of nasty stuff so it makes sense to be kitted out with all of the good stuff. Here in the UK you are rarely 10 minutes away from anywhere and we laugh at those performce tables in the Cessna and Piper manuals with their example problems 'You are taking off from an airfield 5.000' asl and you plan for a journey of 600nm.' Ho ho. The highest airfield I've ever taken off from is 820' asl and that's a high one. 2 hours flying max either way puts you in Ireland, Scotland or France/Belgium/Netherlands.