PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing down during final approach.
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2014, 12:51
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Again all high wing or tail dragger examples. I used to own a quarter share in a mooney aircraft with long wings and short undercarriage. lets see an example in one of these clips with an aircraft like that.

as stated if a pilot is sitting 6 feet up on a windy day pulling back for the chairmans landing while the runway slides sideways it his technique which is wrong and he is not carrying out a proper crab landing.
Ok even the best will be picked up on occasion but then they should smoothly and instinctively lower the wing and squeeze in rudder to adjust for that situation changing from one technique to another in smooth flowing and may i add confident control inputs.

maybe the FAA new advice is more reflective of the new breed of pilot training covering a wide span of abilities some who are more passengers to their landing on a wing and a prayer rather than being in full control regardless of conditions of the aircraft?

As stated if you are competent in all manner of landings in all conditions and choose the slip to suit you and your aircraft I have no problems with that at all.
if a technique is used to cover up shortfalls in handling techniques then that would worry me.
I noted in the video a number of references were made to low time inexperienced pilots being recommended to use the wing down method until they become more experienced.

Flying a small jet and speeds become more critical with a larger variation of speed on the approach. Normally selection of different degree of flap and undercarriage down the approach brings the speed back to VREF with a fairly constant N1 setting (more relevant to jet engines with spool times)
Change from a crab to wing low at say 300 feet and you are surely bringing in another element of drag which will de stabilise the approach without further thrust adjustment.

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 7th Feb 2014 at 13:33.