PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flt. Lt. Sean Cunningham inquest
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2014, 00:36
airpolice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FL, perhaps I should have made the Tounge in Cheek aspect of my "only two things" comment clearer.

Obviously there can be many causes, and sometimes no connection. But who can really believe that Coiln Macrae would have survived until today if he'd carried on flying with such scant regard for the rules?

Like you, I just drive puddle jumpers belonging to a variety of other people. I was referring to the simple paperwork that we are subject to.

One outfit that I hire from have never seen my licence or logbook. One FI there did ask me one day if I had it with me, and on being told that it was in my bag, he was satisfied.

Another operator is at the other end of the scale and on returning there after a break of almost three years, to the club where I passed my skills test, I was required to produce, as part of my check ride, my licence, log book and medical. I'm not afraid of being asked to produce it instantly, because I can.

This club keeps a note of all relevant expiry dates for all pilots and we are all subject to making public our recency compliance, for all club members to see.

My point about the accident reports is that there is a high incidence of "the deceased was flying without the right paperwork" so how many others are doing the same but we don't hear about it until they are dead?

The SI into the incident at Scampton has shown some big lapses in management of the regulated documentation. How many times will this need ot come up before the rest of the RAF takes a good look at how they are doing things?

Perhaps nobody cares because they are not going to have their bum felt for it even if they do get caught. No amount of looking at squadron flying hours and IR recency or dual checks on the aircrew woud have made the seat work. That's no reason not to flog someone for letting the side down.